It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
SWGEmu Resource Spawn Mapping Project
Master Corporal

Post SWGEmu Resource Spawn Mapping Project
This is a copy of a thread that I have posted on the SWGEmu forums. I'm hoping to get some support specifically from the GR community if possible. If you are interested, please send me a PM (on this site or the SWGEmu site) with the information requested below.

l'Aasin wrote:
Resource Spawn Mapping Project

Purpose

To help the SWGEmu Development team track, monitor and control the various resource spawns on the SWGEmu Test Center, a team of willing participants will be systematically scouring every planet in the galaxy. We will be covering all areas of each individual planetary map surveying, following and annotating the size and concentration of each resource spawn. This data will be provided to the Development team to be used as a means of verification for the incoming and outgoing behavior of resource spawns to see if they comply with the known rules. This project will help by identifying proper spawn dispersal, spawn sizes and spawn concentration percentages, as well as; pointing out any improper trends that might form automated system.

This type of project isn’t going to be easy. This will require a good team of motivated individuals who are willing to contribute a decent amount of time and effort to chasing, and recording resource spawns. As Learningdisease has pointed out, for this type of project to actually bear any profit for the developers, precise data from a large time span needs to be assembled.

Data collection

The method used for collecting the data will be respondent to the overall team size. I also have plans for allowing sporadic input from other, less dedicated, contributors that will hopefully help in reducing the workload on those of us that will be providing constant resource data.

Since the validity of this data will depend on the quantity and quality of its coverage, the data collection team will devote its complete attention to one planet at a time. This will insure that if we do not collect 100% of the galactic resource data, we will at least stand a better chance of collecting 100% of the specific planetary data. Each team member will be given a list of resource categories for which they will be responsible (i.e. One member will be responsible for all Iron deposits while another is responsible for all steel deposits). Of course, the number of resource categories that each team member will be responsible for will vary depending on team size. If possible, I would like to keep the work load as minimal as possible, so hopefully we can recruit a lot of help.

We will actually concentrate on a rather varied amount of information. Primarily, we will be focusing on the data connected to the spawning of resources in general. As a secondary objective, we will be assembling a resource database to note the statistics of each resource spawned.

Primarily Data Collection
  • Size of individual spawn locations
  • Concentration percentages of individual spawns
  • Concentration of spawns per planet
  • Number of specific resource spawns per planet
  • Number of total resource spawns per planet

Secondary Data Collection
  • Resource stats
  • List of resource names
  • Spawn rotation timing

Subsequent Data Collection
  • Frequency of specific resource spawns
  • Average resource quality
  • Trend tracking

Non-committal Public Support

To help reduce the overall workload on those of us dedicating our time to the collection of this information, I’d like to ask the community at large to help by supplying some of this information when possible. Any member of the TC community can offer extensive help by just offering what information that they gather on a normal basis. As a crafter is out searching for resources, he can note the highest concentration percentage and location of that specific resource and post it for us to use. If others want to go a bit further, they can track the total spawn size and concentration of a resource as they come across it, noting the location where the spawn begins, its percentage at that point, and the location and concentration of the highest percentage.

This information will be provided to the team member responsible for that type of resource. It will give them a known area that they will not need to cover for that specific resource. The more non-committal contributors we get, the better it will be for us if we only manage to obtain a small number of committed participants.

_______ _____________ _________________

I need volunteers that are willing and able to provide a good concentrated effort to this project. Data collection only requires basic knowledge of tracking resource spawns and noting the information that you collect. If you’re interested in helping on a short term/sporadic basis, you can still be of great assistance to the project as a whole.

If interested, please, PM me with the following:

• In-game character name
  • Time zone
  • In-game time per day/week
  • Forum time per day/week
  • Level of interested: Fully Committed Participant, or Short Term/Sporadic Participant

Please note that Non-committal Contributors do not necessarily need to contact me. They need only post the data collection in the appropriate manor. As this comes together, I will inform the community of the proper location to input their data, as well as; the location where the community can observe the data collected if interested.

Thank you for you time,
l’Aasin

p.s. Yes this is a continuation of PreCU_or_JarJar_Gets_it's thread Would it help at all if...

Wyylk (Fully Templated Jedi, Ugly bastard & SWG Shen CO) {Server: Radiant}

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

Post Re: SWGEmu Resource Spawn Mapping Project
I don't have the game on my computer, or I would gladly contribute what time I have.

This will be a huge undertaking, as from what I remember there were something like 50 or 60 mineral resources alone (meaning water and metals) without taking into account fauna and flora. =/ Come december, when I can get some game time, I'll do my best to contribute to the cause, though.

In the meantime, maybe I could draw up an easy-to-use spreadsheet document. If you'll tell me what you are looking for specifically in your search, I can make an exportable spreadsheet that would calculate things like weekly averages, planetary mins and maxes, locations, etc. for ease of viewing.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:55 pm
Master Corporal

Hey Shad, thanks for volunteering some effort to the cause. If you would like to create such a spreadsheet that would be great. It'll give us another option for our interim data collection procedures. As to what type of info we'll be collecting, that is in the original post.

Basically, what we'll be doing is tracking where a spawn begins and mapping it's complete size and concentrations. We'll be doing this for every resource available in order to see how the automated spawn system is working. The data collected from the initial surveying will then be used to show average spawn sizes and concentrations by type, order and group for each spawn cycle, as well as; producing an overall record of how the system functions over a given time frame.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Master Corporal

If there is anyone in the community that is taking advantage of the free month on the Live SOE servers or that still plays the NGE and would be interested in helping out a bit, could you please let me know. We're looking at collecting some data over the Live server spawn system to use as a way of correlating the data we gather from the Emu TC. It looks like we'll be using either the Bloodfin or Corbantis server for this. Even if you could just offer some waypoints to the highest concentration of resources that you find, it would be of great assistance.

Thanks again
l'Aasin

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Private

I previously worked in the area of Geospatial Information Systems and there are similarities in your project to work I have done in areas like rain fall, water usage, elevation models, agricultural land use etc in the real world.

I would be willing to reactivate my old account for the free trial and collect some information from the SOE servers. I will need to wait until next week however, as I am house sitting for my brother at the moment.

What is the level of detail required? If I recall correctly, the longest ranged survey was a 5x5 grid covering 320m x 320m. This would give a give a distance of 64m between each point of data. To cover an entire planet I would need to survey 50 points on 50 rows, each 320m apart.

While it would be ideal to cover every section of the planet at that level of detail, I don’t believe it will be possible. At that resolution it would be rather time consuming. You would need to take surveys at 2500 points on the map and the concentration for each resource would be recorded at over 60,000 points on the planetary map. Each of the fifty rows would be about sixteen kilometres long, making the total journey to collect the data in excess of 800km. I would need some assistance if we want the data to be available in a timely fashion. :)

The alternative, easier, method would be make a smaller number of surveys, maybe divide the map into squares 1km x 1km and take the 320m x 320m survey at the centre of each. This would give us 256 surveys for each mineral on the planet and concentration levels at 6,400 points. The journey to collect the information will be around 300km. While still a big journey and a lot of data I should be able to collect the data for a planet in one or two sessions. To this we would add surveys at the highest concentration points for the minerals. From these two sources of data software could extrapolate an accurate distribution for the unsurveyed areas of the planet. I have some older GIS software that will be more than suitable for the project and some project files from an old map of Tatooine to build upon. I have used similar techniques for generating contour maps from spot heights.

One question about surveying in NGE, as I left the game before NGE was introduced. From a quick google search I have learnt that all of the classes have the ability to survey for resources and that traders gain greater survey range as they increase in level. Does anyone know the ranges you can survey as different levels in NGE?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:04 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Garse An'Mos wrote:
From a quick google search I have learnt that all of the classes have the ability to survey for resources and that traders gain greater survey range as they increase in level. Does anyone know the ranges you can survey as different levels in NGE?

Only artisan classes can survey.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:42 am
Master Warrant Officer

I'd love to help with this project (it's near and dear to me), but my time is pretty limited. What could I do that would best help out?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 am
Profile YIM
Master Corporal

Currently Morik, we are busy gathering some data from one of the Live servers. If you had an account with SOE it should have been reactivated for November (free of charge). We're taking advantage of this to try and gather as much data about spawn formations as possible. If you can help out over there, that would be great. If not, I'll have some things for you to do once we get started in the SWGEmu TC.

Send me a PM with the following:

SWGEmu Forum Name:
TC Name:
Live Server Name: (if you are helping with the liver server project)
Time Zone:
Gaming Times: Week/Weekend
SWGEmu Forum Times: Week/Weekend
GR Forum Times: Week/Weekend
Email address: (if you don't want to include this, that is fine)

Thanks for offering your assistance. Hopefully, I'll hear from you soon.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]